Does making your own laundry detergent sound daunting!?! It did to me!! But,...it is surprisingly quick and easy and is SOOOO inexpensive!
- good for use in HE washers
- no chemicals or carcinogens!
- costs pennies!
- 1 bar "Fels-Naptha" OR "Zote" soap
- 1/2 cup Borax
- 1/2 cup Washing Soda -- **please note it is WASHING Soda, NOT baking soda :)
- large bucket -- 5 gallon bucket works great!
- Using a cheese grater or food processor, grate the bar of soap
- Heat shredded soap in a sauce pan with several cups of water
- Stir and heat until soap is dissolved
- Add Washing Soda and Borax
- Stir until dissolved
- Pour into 5 gallon bucket and fill to 3/4 of the way full with hot water
- Stir well and let sit over night. It will firm up a bit into a chunky gel.
- 1/3 - 1/2 cup per load of laundry
- Enjoy -- cuz doing laundry is so rewarding!!! ;0)
I store mine in the big bucket, but for easy, everyday use, I keep in an old detergent bottle.
I order my ingredients here: