Peels from the Sweet Orange family have been used in Traditional Chinese Medicine since at least the 2nd century BC.
There are substantially more enzymes, flavonoids, and phyto-nutrients in the Orange peel than in the fruit itself. All of the essential components accumulate in the peel, begging the question, "Why in the world don't we use the peel?!?!"
Orange Peel is rich in:
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin B1
- Folic Acid
- flavonoids (60+)
- numerous vitamins & minerals
I used to purchase orange peel powder from Mountain Rose Herbs, however, as I was tossing out my organic orange peels one day, I wondered why I don't I make it myself?! So now I do, and it is SO much better when it is fresh and home prepared! The fresh orange scent and flavor is amazing!
OR ORDER IT HERE:
Here's how I do it:
- peel orange :)
- hang or spread peel out to dry
- when peel is dry and firm like a cracker, blend in blender until powdered
- store in a jar in a cool dark cupboard
How To Use:
- In place of powdered Vitamin C, such as "Airborne" or "Emergen C", I mix this (and a few other powdered herbs) in a little water or juice. See future post on Vitamin C Powder
- Use in recipes that call for Orange Zest or Orange Peel
- Put, along with a few other powdered herbs into capsules and take as you would vitamin C
I use the Vita Mix Blender: