This meal practically cooks itself! I went to the beach for the day with a dear friend, for her birthday and came home to this dinner!!
All it took, on my part, was a little fore thought and some morning prep work (and, ideally, one thing the night before;-))
In the warm weather, I hate to heat up my kitchen by using the oven and stove, so this meal is up there on my list!!
Fajita Chicken Meal
- Soak black beans (or your favorite beans) overnight in the crock pot
- Drain beans, then refill pot to just an inch above beans
- Slow cook beans on low all-day, until tender
- Add Celtic sea salt when done
***If you didn't plan this the night before and forgot to soak the beans, you can soak them in the morning and, in the evening, cook the beans, quickly, in a pressure cooker -- my absolute favorite, the Instant Pot!!
Pour water and rice into the pot of Instant Pot or rice cooker and set delay timer for the rice to be ready at the time you want dinner to be served.
In a Slow Cooker, place:
• 3-4 Chicken breasts or 5-6 thighs (I use a little of both :))
• 1 cup of salsa
• 2-3 teaspoons each of: onion powder, garlic powder, cumin powder, salt, pepper, chili powder.
- On low for 7-8 hours (check after 5 hours, as temperature varies from pot to pot), until tender. Shred before serving. ***Note: Slow cooking in the Instant Pot is actually pretty fast, 2-4 hours in mine -- So I set the Delay Timer to start slow cooking around 1 or 2 pm.
- When done, let cool slightly and serve over bed or lettuce as a salad, as tacos or over rice and beans.
- Serve with: shredded cheese, onions, avocado, salsa, lettuce,...
Enjoy!! Let me know how it goes! :0)