Quinoa & Cheese is a healthy alternative to traditional mac & cheese (one of my favorites!)
Quinoa is high in protein and it is, in fact, a complete protein!! woohoo!:-) It is gluten-free, high in the B vitamins, magnesium, zinc, phosphorus, iron, folate, thiamin and riboflavin and is a moderate source of calcium.
Prep Time: 10 min, Cook Time: 20 min
- 1-2 Tbs coconut oil
- 2-3 Tbs butter
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped broccoli
- 2 tsp minced garlic (optional)
- 2 cups uncooked quinoa
- 4 cups chicken broth (or water, but broth is yummier! (yes, that's a word! ;0))
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup milk
- salt to taste
- In a medium pot melt coconut oil over medium heat.
- Add carrots, broccoli and garlic, and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add quinoa and chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Cover pot and reduce heat to medium low, cooking for 10-15 min. until liquid is absorbed.
- Stir in butter, cheese and milk.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- IF you have the Instant Pot, you can cook this in it on the "saute" setting.
Adapted from the Nourishing Herbalist