For many reason I am so grateful for my sweet Bible study group!
One reason is because it's an excuse to make some yummy muffins!! My kids think muffins are simply a good excuse for me to eat butter! (Somewhat true ;0))
The key to a healthy recipe is the quality of the ingredients you use!
I use organic whole grain flour, soft white wheat and Kamut flour, minimally processed sugar: organic cane juice crystals, organic pumpkin (canned or fresh), organic chocolate chips, eggs,... .
Here's the recipe to one of my favorites!!
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin puree
- 1-1/2 cups coconut oil (OR 3/4 cups oil and 3/4 cups apple sauce -- this is my preference :))
- 3 cups whole grain flour (I use soft white whole wheat flour and Kamut flour)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice (see Note for substitution)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips (or combination of semisweet and milk chocolate)
- Preheat oven to 400°. Place paper liners in a regular sized muffin pan.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs, sugar, pumpkin and oil until smooth. Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice and salt; Add flour mixture slowly to pumpkin mixture and mix well. Fold in chocolate chips. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths of the way full.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Do not overbake. It makes all the difference between a good and a great muffin. Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack. Makes 2 dozen muffins.
*If you don't have Pumpkin Pie Spice, use: 1½ teaspoons cinnamon, ½ teaspoon nutmeg, ½ teaspoon ginger, ¼ teaspoon allspice.
ENJOY!! XO :0)
Source: adapted from Taste of Home