When we were young, my sister used to take gelatin to help her nails grow. I was a tomboy, and I didn't want long nails, so I poo-pooed the idea (and probably teased her about it! lol :0)).
Now, however, I've learned some new and valuable reasons to consume gelatin! Besides helping your hair and nails to grow, gelatin also:
- Is great for the joints!!
- Helps tighten loose skin -- One of the most frightful things ;) I've been noticing is the loose skin on my arms and legs!!! What is that all about?!?! One of the perks of getting older, I guess!! This is one good reason to use this gelatin! :)
- It's a source of protein to help build muscle
- It's fabulous for digestion!
- It's a great source of dietary collagen
I usually take 1 Tbsp in a mug of hot tea. It dissolves quickly in the warm water and I really don't even notice it!
You can also take it in a shake or smoothie.
I've been having some general joint discomfort lately. Since it's not entirely localized, I'm lead to believe that my whole body is in need of something. So, I've been treating myself to this tea drink lately:
- Any herbs you like (recently I've been liking tulsi (holy basil) and mint)
- Add boiling water and steep for a few minutes
- Remove spent herbs and add any desired sweetener (I use stevia)
- Sprinkle in 1 Tbsp of gelatin and mix well!!
- Add 1 tsp of coconut oil (an excellent source of Omega 3's which is good for the joints)
- Stir frequently and enjoy!
I'll keep you posted on how it helps my joints. Funny enough, I feel like my digestion has improved lately! I hadn't made the connection until I started writing this! How handy! You take a supplement for one problem and receive unexpected health benefits! :)
Here's where I get mine:
And I buy most of my herbs and tea here:
I'd love to hear how you've benefited from gelatin!