Change Your Thoughts, Change Your Life
When negative emotions are strong, I can:
- tell myself, " this will pass.
- accept that I feel this way. I've been here before, I'll work my way out of it. I will just accept that I feel this way and it will pass.".
- get enough rest--don't over-do it.
- take time for me and stop running in circles.
1.) Identify negative thoughts! Often, we're not even aware that we're thinking anything, but if you're experiencing a negative emotion; mad, sad, angry, hurt, worried, hopeless, fearful, anxious, helpless,...; then think, "what was I thinking?" Your thoughts may not always be in words, sometimes it's just a picture or a memory.
2.) Replace your negative thoughts with something positive, something that makes you feel hopeful, comforted, joyful, peaceful, soothed -- and, remember, the positive thought is usually the truth.
- "this will pass--I accept how I feel"
- "these are just feelings, it's not reality"
- "I have hope for the future"
- "I am healthy"
- "I am smart
- "I am getting better everyday"
- "I make good choices"
- "I am on the right path"
One of the things that helped me the most was giving up the constant thought, "what is wrong with me?" and "how do I fix myself?" God knows me completely!! He sees what needs to be changed and healed and he is faithful and utterly capable to do it!! Run to Him! Press closer to know Him more! "This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He sent" John 6:29. All I have to do is believe and know Him more, letting Him do the job of fixing me!
Sounds good, right?! Now what does this look like practically? For me it was spending time:
- praying, "Lord, have Your way in my life. Do whatever You need to do to heal me and make me more like You!"
- praising God
- keeping a daily list of all the things I'm grateful for - no matter how small!
- reading, memorizing and applying the Bible
- seeing a counselor
- reading books that spoke specifically to the issue I was working on,
"Search me, O God, and know my heart! Test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me and lead me in Your path" Psalm 139